Migrating to Australia as a Health Professional

16 Dec



Australia is an attractive destination for many people looking to immigrate and start a new life in a foreign country.

Nurses and doctors are extremely welcome to join the Australian healthcare system, with several pathways for immigration available. If you’re considering relocating to Australia as a health professional, let’s look at how easy it is for you to make the move.


Visa Requirements

In order to work as a nurse or doctor in Australia, you will need to apply for either a permanent visa or temporary working visa. The type of visa you apply for will depend on your individual circumstances.

Generally speaking, permanent residence visas are available to those who have been nominated by an employer in Australia (e.g., a Subclass 186 Employer Nominated Visa), or applicants who have applied via the Skilled Migration Program (SkillSelect).

Temporary working visas are available if you plan on working in the country on a short-term basis and you’re sponsored by an employer for e.g., a Subclass 482 Temporary Skills Shortage visa.

Another option for those wanting to get here quickly, is the Working Holiday Visa program (either the Subclass 417 Working Holiday Visa or the Subclass 462 Work and Holiday Visa).

Obviously, it is important that applicants meet all the relevant criteria prior to submitting their application.


The Skilled Migration Program (SkillSelect)

The Skilled Migration Program mentioned above is one of the most popular ways for nurses and doctors to immigrate to Australia. This program allows nurses and doctors, and other skilled workers from outside of Australia to become permanent residents independently of an employer.

The process involves submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI) with relevant qualifications, references, and work experience.

Successful applicants then get invited through SkillSelect which will lead them towards permanent residency in Australia.

Meeting the points requirement for this visa is mandatory, and generally, the higher your points score, the better chance you have of being invited to lodge the visa.

The relevant visa subclasses here include the Subclass 189, Skilled Independent Visa and Subclass 190 State Nominated Visa.

In most states of Australia, the State Nominated pathway is the quickest, but each state has its own rules about the requirements. To be honest, every state and territory in Australia is short of health care staff, and the Subclass 190, State Nominated Visa is an excellent option at the moment.

All working visas (with the exception of the Working Holiday Visas) requires registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA), and nurses will also require a positive skills assessment.

Applicants from both professional will need an IELTS score of 7 or equivalent. Please that you cannot work in Australia as a Registered Nurse or Medical Practitioner without AHPRA registration.


In Conclusion…

Immigrating to Australia as a nurse or doctor may seem like a complex process but with some prior knowledge and preparation it can actually be quite straightforward!

Because there is such a demand in Australia for healthcare workers you are still able take advantage of streamlined processes which make it easier than ever before for you to move Down Under and pursue your career goals within the Australian healthcare system .

If you’re considering immigrating as a nurse or doctor then use this blog post as your guide – best wishes!


Applying for a visa can be difficult and time-consuming. That’s where AHWC Immigration Law comes in – we’re experts at getting visas approved.

We’ll take care of everything for you, from the application to the paperwork.

You’ll be ready to go with no stress or hassle.

Imagine knowing that you have the best chance of having your visa granted because you used AHWC Immigration Law.

We’ve helped thousands of people get their visas, and we can help you too.

Contact us today and book your consultation!


AHWC Immigration Law - Book A Consultation by Scanning the QR Code
AHWC Immigration Law – Book A Consultation by Scanning the QR Code

Stay On Top Of The Latest In Immigration News And Changes!

Get one step closer to making Australia home!