Smooth Sailing to Your Partner Visa: Navigating the Application Process with Confidence and Ease

06 Jul


Applying for a partner visa? That’s a wonderful step forward in your relationship journey! And it’s indeed an important one, as it involves providing a convincing array of evidence to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) that showcases the genuineness of your relationship. Remember, it’s crucial that your relationship is not perceived as merely an arrangement for visa procurement.


You’ll need lots of evidence

Depending on the specific partner visa you’re considering, you’ll need to gather either six or twelve months of supporting documentation. For instance, if you’re applying for provisional partner visas (like the Subclass 820 onshore visa or 309 offshore visa), or planning to add a partner to a Student Visa, you’ll need a year’s worth of evidence (special circumstances notwithstanding). If, however, you’re looking to add a partner to a Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (TSS) or a New Zealand family visa (Subclass 461), half a year’s evidence should suffice.

You might be aware that the DHA is particularly vigilant about the accuracy and authenticity of claims and documents submitted along with visa applications. It’s crucial to note that any false claims or bogus documents can lead to significant penalties, including a 3-10 year ban on applying for future visas for offending applicants and their immediate family members.


So, what exactly does the DHA expect in terms of relationship evidence?

You’ll need a diverse and detailed compilation of documents, including but not limited to:

  • Personal and statutory declarations from both partners outlining the nature and timeline of your relationship, shared activities, periods of separation, significant relationship milestones, and future plans.
  • Confirmations from friends and family regarding your relationship.
  • Financial evidence demonstrating shared fiscal responsibilities.
  • Photographs, social media posts, and other social evidence showcasing your relationship.
  • Official government or commercial documents acknowledging your relationship, such as tax returns and certificates of registered relationships or marriage.
  • Proofs of shared travel, public outings, and joint participation in various activities.
  • Evidence of a shared household, including mail or bills addressed to both, joint leases, and shared responsibilities for housework and children.
  • Signs of a long-term commitment like engagement or wedding ring receipts, mutual inclusion in wills, plans for property purchase or family expansion, and an in-depth knowledge about each other’s personal details.


In a long-distance relationship?


For those in a long-distance relationship, demonstrating your bond might appear challenging but is certainly achievable. Even without cohabitation or co-ownership lease/mortgage documents, you can present proof of travels together, joint bank accounts, photos, and frequent communication. Personal statements (such as Form 888’s) from friends and family detailing your unique situation can also support your case. Remember, evidence showcasing your ongoing communication while apart is crucial and can be in the form of call logs, social media interactions, and proofs of transfers or gifts.


We can help!


Navigating this process might seem daunting, but that’s where we, at AHWC Immigration Law, come in. Our team of expert migration agents is well-versed in the intricacies of the documentation process. We can guide you through the evidence collection, ensuring a seamless application process that meets the DHA’s expectations. Reach out to us and book a consultation. We’re here to make your visa application journey smoother and stress-free. Let’s get started, shall we?



Stay On Top Of The Latest In Immigration News And Changes!

Get one step closer to making Australia home!