If you’re in Australia – The Subclass 820/801 Onshore Partner Visa is your best option.
Big advantage: If you have a visa when you apply for the Subclass 820 Visa, you’ll get a Bridging visa with work rights
When your current visa expires after your application has been lodged, you will be granted a bridging visa with full work rights to remain in Australia while your Subclass 820 Partner Visa application is processed.
The Subclass 820/801 Onshore Partner Visa has two stages.
- The first stage is the Subclass 820 Provisional Partner Visa, which is the Temporary Partner Visa.
- The second stage of the Partner Visa process is the 801 Permanent Partner Visa.
You can apply for the second stage, the Subclass 801 Permanent Partner Visa, two years after applying for the Subclass 820 Provisional Partner Visa.
The Subclass 820 Temporary Partner Visa must be applied for in Australia.
Are you eligible?
Relationship – You can either be married or in a de facto relationship
You must either be legally married to an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen or in a de facto relationship with one.
If you are not married, you must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months prior to lodging your application, unless you have either registered your relationship, or there are other compassionate circumstances sufficient for the 12 month requirement to be waived.
No matter whether you are in a married or de facto relationship, you must demonstrate:
- Your relationship is genuine and enduring
- Your relationship is mutually exclusive
- Either you live together, or you do not live apart on a permanent basis.
Does your sponsor qualify?
Your sponsor must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who:
- Hasn’t previously sponsored more than one partner, and has not sponsored a partner within the last five years (unless compelling and compassionate circumstances apply)
- Hasn’t been convicted of a “relevant offence” (includes violence offences, child sex offences, breaching a protection order and other offences such as people smuggling etc), or has a significant criminal record.
These days, Sponsors are approved separately, before the Partner Visa application can be granted. A sponsor must lodge a separate sponsorship form immediately after the Partner Visa application is lodged. Whilst we have not experienced it ourselves, we are aware that some sponsors have not been approved and consequently the Partner Visa application is refused. If this occurs the visa refusal may be appealed at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
How’s your health and character?
You must meet the health and character requirements of the Subclass 820 visa. This means that:
How Much Does a Partner Visa Cost?
In addition to professional fees you may be charged if a Registered Migration Agent, or Immigration Lawyer prepares your Partner Visa application, the visa application charges are:
- Visa application charge – $7,715.00
- Medical examinations – approximately $550.00
- Police certificates – approximately $50 each (although some countries do not charge, e.g. Ireland)
To find out about our professional fees, and if a Partner Visa is right for you, please book a consultation.
Subclass 801, your Second Stage Permanent Partner Visa.
The subclass 801 permanent partner visa is the Australian permanent residence Visa which holders of subclass 820 temporary partner visas progress to after holding their Subclass 820 visa for two years.
It is a permanent visa granted to the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian permanent resident or citizen or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The subclass 801 partner visa is usually applied for 2 years after the subclass 820 visa application was lodged.
The subclass 801 partner visa is a permanent visa without conditions with the next step being Australian citizenship.
Want a Partner Visa and want peace of mind that your Partner Visa application is perfectly complete and decision ready? We will advise you which is the best Partner Visa for you, and prepare and lodge your visa application.
Let’s get started! We’ll make your dreams come true!