Subclass 500 Student Visa

Subclass 500 Student Visa

The Subclass 500 Student Visa allows you to come to Australia to complete a course of full time study you are enrolled in.

It also allows your  family members of the applicant to accompany you to Australia.


Exceptions to the requirement to hold a student visa
  •  Subclass 444 visa holders –  applicable to New Zealand citizens only.
  • Visitor Visa holders – who may study for a maximum of three months.


  • At the time of Application, you must have evidence of enrolment to study
  • If you’re overseas – a COE (Confirmation of Enrolment)
  • If you’re in Australia –  COE or letter of offer,  but  you must provide a COE prior to the visa decision.
  • If you’re a post graduate student – a letter of post graduate thesis marking (post graduates).
  • If you’re under the age of 18, you must provide evidence of  arrangements for accommodation, support and general welfare for your stay in Australia.


Partners & Spouses
  • Your partner or spouse can make a combined application with you for a student visa or they can apply as an “subsequent entrant” once your  visa has been granted (please note however that you must disclose your partner at the time of your own application, or you will have to lodge an entirely new application for yourself as well).
  • You cannot add a partner to a student visa after your application has been lodged, only after it has been granted.


“Packaging” more than one course
  • You can apply to undertake two or more courses on the one visa; this is known as “packaging” courses.
  • The principal course is always the highest level course and there is no limit to the number of courses in a package, but they should be related and show progression.
  • For the visa to be granted for the full duration of the packaged course, a CoE for each course is required. The visa however may only be granted for maximum of five years, regardless.


 You must be a Genuine Temporary Entrant 

You must be a genuine applicant for entry to Australia and stay as a student, having regard to three requirements:

  1. Intention to genuinely stay in Australia temporarily,
  2. Intention to comply with visa conditions, and
  3. Any other relevant matter.


Case officers must take into account:

  • The  circumstances in your home country (e.g. could you study the same course at home, is there unrest in your home country?)
  • Your potential circumstances in Australia (e.g., does it look like you’re just trying to extend your stay in Australia?)
  • The value of the course to your future
  • Your immigration history (i.e. have you breached any visa conditions in the past, overstayed or been refused entry to Australia?)
  • If you’re a minor – the intentions of your parent or  legal guardian.
  • Other relevant matters (e.g. if you are nearing retirement age, the qualification might not provide any significant benefit to their future employment prospects)


You must have the relevant English language proficiency.

If required, you must provide evidence of English language proficiency in a form specified by the Minister.


You must have sufficient financial capacity

You must have genuine access to sufficient funds to cover costs and expenses for yourself and any accompanying family applicants for the duration of your intended stay in Australia (the amounts of funds are stipulated by the Minister in a special “Instrument”


Need help?

Contact us today on +61 3 9573 5200 or book a consultation. We can advise you of your chances of success and the  appropriate courses to study if you’re considering your future in Australia.


AHWC - Definitely the best Migration Agent I've worked with.
AHWC – Definitely the best Migration Agent I’ve worked with.