Have A New Zealand Citizen Partner?



Subclass 461 Visa – In a relationship with a New Zealand citizen?


It’s a five year temporary visa.
  • The New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship subclass 461 visa is a five year temporary visa that allows the holder to live in Australia with a family member who is a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category Subclass 444 visa. (The Special Category subclass 444 visa allows New Zealand citizens who arrived in Australia after 26 February 2001 to live and work in Australia indefinitely, as long as they remain New Zealand citizens.
  • This is a great visa for the de facto partners or spouse of a New Zealand citizen to live and work in Australia while they remain in a de facto relationship with their New Zealand partner.


Little known fact about the Subclass 461 Visa
  • Even if you have broken up with your New Zealand  partner, your Subclass 461 Visa won’t be cancelled.
  • AND – if you apply for another one after you have broken up, it will be granted provided you haven’t entered into another relationship. (yes really!)


In or outside Australia for the application

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for this visa.


Want a Subclass 461 Visa?

Contact AHWC Immigration Law’s team of Partner Visa Immigration Lawyers and Partner Visa Migration agents. to arrange your Zealand Family Relationship subclass 461 visa now.


This visa is covered by our No Visa, No Fee Guarantee.


Call AHWC Immigration Law on +61 39573 5200 or complete our contact form which you’ll find here.


Alternatively, Book A Consultation Below.

Book A Subclass 461 Visa Consultation Here



Subclass 461 Visa Common Questions

Subclass 461 Visa Common Questions

What if my Partner is an Eligible New Zealand Citizen? 

  • Eligible New Zealand Citizens are New Zealand Citizens who were living in Australia on 26 February 2001 or lived in Australia for at least one year in the two years immediately before 26 February, 2001.
  • They have the same rights and benefits as Australian citizens or permanent residents.

If you are married to or in a long term de facto relationship with an Eligible New Zealand Citizen you should meet the criteria for an Australian Partner visa, Subclass 820.


What does the New Zealand Family Relationship subclass 461 visa allow me to do? 

This visa allows you to:

  • Work and study in Australia 
  • Travel to, enter and remain in Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted 
New Zealand Citizen